Thursday, September 29, 2005

Triple Grande

I admit it. I have no shame. I won’t make excuses. I cannot hide it any longer … I am a Triple Grande girl. There was a certain level of guilt or wonderment or incredulity when I finally admitted to myself one day that PA school has taken me to a new place - a place where I no longer am satisfied by my double tall sugar free hazelnut. It ran dry on a recent busy morning - right in between Common Ocular Disorders and Staging for Malignant Lung Neoplasms.

I looked at my empty cup, then my watch - it was only 9am - I resolved be proactive.
I wasn’t sure if I should take the leap - both emotionally or financially. Was there embarrassment involved? Should I be afraid that this is a ‘gateway beverage’ choice that would only lead to outrageous habits like bar hopping after school, having a ‘1950’s nightcap’ or worse - developing into a TWO a DAY kind of girl. Could I handle what the future would bring? Should I be praying about this?

With confidence I pulled into my usual Starbuck’s the next morning on Highway 8.
I opened the door and approached the counter. The barista smiled, greeted me as if it was an ordinary day, with an ordinary customer. She didn’t know it was such a big day for me - a Graduation day. I ordered…‘a triple grande, non-fat, sugarfree hazelnut latte’.
She took my debit card, didn’t blink, didn’t flinch, didn’t know.
Then - she looked up, smiled, cocked her blond head to one side and said, “has anyone told you…. you look like Jennifer Garner?”

Ahh, A sign….
All will be well.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I'm so there with you Katie, this is the week I had to increase my coffee intake also! But what did it for me was uveitis and pterygiums...