Thursday, April 20, 2006

Joy in the Journey

This phrase has followed me for a long time - beginning in young adulthood in high school as I grew with Jesus - then it took me to leadership at SPU - and ultimately landed with me here in Portland. It seems to sums it up - even the random trivial life journeys, intense spiritual journeys, twisting relationship journeys and even journeys that end in death. I believe it is God's plan for us to find the joy - the smile or lesson or deep truth behind each day.
PA school - even in this short 11 months - has been a journey for me and it has at times been difficult to own this phrase. My sweet mom - the realistic yet adventurous friend of mine - and I have always said to each other - "remember, in life the possibilities are ENDLESS".
and that is true.
Including hard possibilities.

Just because I haven't posted a note on this blog for months doesn't mean I haven't published many paragraphs in the "draft" section with each letter containing new or boring or difficult life experiences.
...There is a letter saved about the excitement of Eric and Lacey's upcoming marriage in San Diego - and how I had to trudge through finals to get there. Another letter talked about my first incredulous experience giving (not GETTING) a pelvic exam to a live human being...or Matt R. having to learn the art of (and practice) a breast exam on his birthday...how strange our lives are right now.
...another letter shares about how my dear grandomother Amy went to meet Jesus - right as I was taking my final exams in December. I wrote about her life and how faithful and dear and kind and warm she always was...and how we celebrated her life and legacy on Christmas day.
...my next letter talked about how great the wedding was in San diego - and how as I ran along the sun soaked beach my heart just leapt for joy at what God has created and how God is in the tide - He created it - it's power and might and fury and wonderful rhythmic simplicity. He faithfully returns again and again to us and loves us and created us and sometimes - He takes us home with him.
...my next letter shared about Mickie Hansen - our closest, dearest family friend. Her vivacious and full life was abruptly ended one afternoon in January - as her car collided with another. Her life was so rich and intentional and her eyes sparkled as she poured her spirit into those that she knew...

the letter about Mickie was long.

I don't know why I couldn't post them. They didn't sound right. Or feel right. I think I just needed to read them to myself so I could absorb their truths.
And now - new letters are being composed about babies being born, new weddings being planned - and a new year of PA school beginning. Letters with more joy than pain - but that's just circumstance. I'm learning all over again to have joy in the journey - as the road turns and heads up hill.

In the next few hours the journey will take me to Costa Rica...stay tuned...

1 comment:

Ryan Henderson said...

Sister,
This is why we love you so much... Thanks for almost making me cry this morning. We are all SO PROUD of you doing this PA thing, pursuing it, owning it, claiming it, working toward it. There IS joy in the journey...and it is right in amidst the pain and the crap.

"And here in the dust and dirt, O here / The lilies of his love appear..." - TS Elliot

-Brother